Built in the 1880s by George Whitehead, this home sits on a lava rock foundation and is built of handmade adobe blocks. The walls are adobe brick, handmade from straw, clay and horsehair. Beams and wood structures are nailed with handmade square head nails. Erastus and his father owned the A. R. Whitehead and Son Mercantile store on Tabernacle Street which was a very successful business. Erastus died in 1906. Erastus "Rass" and Josephine Whitehead raised seven children here.