Young came to Utah in 1847, and St. George in 1861. He was the first President of the St. George Stake and director of Windsor Cattle Stock growing Company. With the establishment of a United States land office in Utah, the people were able to get title to the land they occupied. Mayor Young applied for 128,526 acres of land. The application was recorded in 1873 after Mayor Young’s death.