Many items in the McQuarrie Memorial Museum run by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP) depict the amazing efforts made by the early settlers of Washington County. One such item is the "Friendship" quilt. Completed in 1898, this 122-year-old quilt was pieced with silk blocks produced in Utah's Dixie and features embroidered signatures of 160 women.
Another exciting item in the museum's extensive collection is a sizable drum commissioned by Joseph Smith and built in Nauvoo, Illinois, by Edward Duzette, a celebrated drummer of the Nauvoo brass band. It is a "one of a kind" drum in that the instrument is able to produce a melodic tune, as well as keep a beat.
Also on display is a large loom that weaved rag rugs for nearly a century, and remarkably is still in use today. The wood used to build the loom came from Pine Valley, Utah, and Robert Gardner, who owned and operated a sawmill, is credited with assembling this valuable piece of St. George's history.