Located at 62 West Temple, Thomas Judd’s General Store is the oldest ongoing business in St. George. Constructed in the 1870s, the building first opened as Richard Bentley’s dry goods store after he had grown tired of running the business out of his home. Built with adobe bricks stacked two-deep, Thomas Judd took over the building in 1911, operating a store that catered to the needs of the area’s cattlemen, sheepherders, and their families, selling everything from rope to hay to men’s dungarees to groceries and fabric. After Thomas Judd’s death in 1922, the store stayed within the Judd family, through son Joseph, then grandson Tom, who catered to the students attending school across the street by selling a wide variety of treats. When the city slated the building for demolition, Dr. Mark and Barbara Green purchased it, incorporating it into today’s Green Gate Village shopping complex.